Underdog’s mission is to be Hartford County’s best value for safe, effective and fun training in self-defense, competitive fighting and general fitness.
Our Values: Our instructors, staff and students will represent these core values.
- Respect: Treating others the way we would want to be treated. Honoring our relationships, treating them with appropriate care and embracing our position and status within the community. Respect is a three-way street... Instructors need to respect their students; students need to respect their instructors and all students need to respect each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. Having the courage to speak up and stand up for what is right, even when it seems difficult to do so.
- Accountability: Admitting our faults and working to correct them. Accepting the consequences of our words and actions.
- Teamwork: Working with others and accepting our role in the group. Being good training partners and promoting safe training. Making those around feel accepted in our group.
- Honesty: Tell the truth, even when it is difficult.
- Perseverance: Keep trying!!! Don’t let temporary setbacks derail your progress.
- Kindness: Taking care of others. Using our skills as martial artists to help and uplift, not to destroy. Using our words to build others up, not tearing them down.
- Cleanliness: Taking care of our own personal hygiene, our own gear, and the gym out of consideration for the well being of others and ourselves.
How do we achieve our mission?
To achieve our mission, we offer a cohesive martial arts and fitness curriculum designed to complement each other. We pride ourselves on running classes that are safe, effective and fun. We want you to be able to fight hard, get fit, and enjoy injury free training so you can train for life.
Our gym is friendly and welcoming to all ages, genders and ability levels. We train youth and adults, men and women, first responders, working professionals, professional fighters and everyone in-between. Our group classes are designed to help a wide variety of people achieve their varying individual goals, together at the pace that is appropriate for them. At UMMA you will experience a sense of teamwork and camaraderie that will make you feel like you’ve found a second family.
We strive to provide the best value by offering all your training needs under one roof. Our 6300 sq. ft. facility has three separate training areas for striking, grappling and strength and conditioning. We have private changing rooms and private bathrooms with showers, so you can train and then carry on with your day. We also offer massage therapy on premise to take care of your body so you can continue to train hard!
Our gym isn’t like other martial arts gyms. We really want to teach you to fight, and we do that better than any other school in the area. You won’t find us teaching flashy or ineffective techniques that might get you killed in a real fight. We believe that elite fitness is a critical component of the martial arts, so we have built a strength and conditioning program to offer our students a fighting chance when the pressure is on. For over a decade, we have been a leader in training the top MMA fighters in the region. Our fighters have fought in the premier Mixed Martial Arts organizations in the world, including the UFC, Bellator, and CES MMA. We also have trained many members of the armed forces as well as law enforcement and first responders. Our proven methods have worked at the highest levels of fighting, so we know they will work for you.
Come to Underdog Mixed Martial Arts and experience what we have to offer. Ultimately, our goal is to help you achieve YOUR goal.
Areas We Serve:
- West Hartford
- New Britain
- East Hartford